Kong Gateway 2.5 Now Generally Available!
← Back to Blog Home
Today, we are proud to announce the general availability (GA) of Kong Gateway 2.5!
Below, we’ll dive deeper into some of the new features and capabilities this release brings. Be sure to upgrade or try out a fresh install today! 2.5 compatible releases will be available with Konnect, our SaaS platform, shortly!
Kong Gateway 2.5 brings a really exciting new feature that we think you’ll be “hooked on.” Event hooks allow Kong Gateway administrators to virtually “watch” for certain events that happen inside of Kong and then to use those events to trigger several kinds of integrations. For example:
- Want to send a message to Slack or Microsoft Teams any time a new administrator is invited? You can do that with event hooks!
- Want to file a ticket to a project management tool to have someone review any time a security plugin is removed? You can do that with event hooks!
- Want to notify a 3rd party system to do a performance or automated security test on your API gateway any time a new route is added? You can do that with event hooks!
How does it all work? Kong Gateway listens for a variety of events: things like routes, services, consumers, certificates, plugins, workspaces, RBAC roles, and so on being created, updated, or removed. You can hook into any of these events now via an API and when one of these events is triggered, you can choose to log the event out, to fire off a request via a webhook action, or to run some arbitrary code of your choosing.
Event hooks are an enterprise-only feature, so if you’re not already a customer, consider becoming one to make use of this functionality. Have a look at the docs and let us know any feedback!
And There’s More
Kong Gateway 2.5 brings a number of improvements to other features as well. This includes:
- Several UI updates to Kong Manager — our enterprise-grade UI for configuring a Kong Gateway
- New metrics for the Prometheus plugin (data_plane_last_seen, data_plane_config_hash and data_plane_version_compatible)
- The ability to group similar messages together in the Syslog plugin (see the facility configuration parameter here)
- Much better version compatibility in hybrid mode
And more! Check out our changelog for additional details!
Try it Today!
We’re thrilled to be able to share this latest release with you, and we’re proud of the contributions from Kong employees, our awesome customers and our great community! This is just a small sample of what is new in 2.5: for a full list of changes, have a look at our Changelog.