2019 Year in Review – Thank You to Our Customers, Community and Partners
As I look back at 2019 and all the amazing things we’ve achieved as a team, it was a big year for us at Kong. We’ve grown tremendously in just the past year alone, doubling to more than 160 employees, reaching 170 Kong Enterprise customers, hitting 100 million downloads of our open source Kong Gateway and running more than 1 million instances of Kong per month across the world. Last but not least, we also open sourced Kuma as a universal service mesh, and we added Insomnia, the #1 OSS API testing platform with over 1,000 customers, to our Kong family.
Let’s take a glance back at our greatest milestones of the year:
- Raised $43 million in Series C funding – This was a culmination of many years of work as we build towards a nervous system for the cloud. This important funding round enables us to continue to grow Kong on all fronts, including our open source community, enterprise platform, as well as our expansion into new, global markets.
- Named on Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups List and named a Visionary in Gartner’s 2019 Magic Quadrant for Full Lifecycle API Management – We’ve come a long way from the days of running the company out of a tiny garage in Milan and living off of rice and beans. This momentous recognition by both Forbes and Gartner is a testament to all the hard work the Kong team has put into building a product that solves real-world problems for developers across the world. Thank you to all of our employees, customers, community, partners and investors for always believing in Kong and our vision.
- Hosted our second annual Kong Summit – We kicked off our inaugural Kong Summit last year, which brought together our open source users, enterprise customers and industry leaders to shape the future of software. This year, it was even bigger and better. The event drew 500 attendees from 250 organizations across 28 countries and 200 cities. Next year, we promise an even bigger and better Kong Summit 2020!
- Acquired Insomnia – As part of our journey to build the service control platform for the future and provide full lifecycle service management, we acquired Insomnia, the leading open source API testing tool. Insomnia is the foundation for our new Kong Studio to help users build and test their APIs and microservices.
- Released new, exciting products and features – In addition to Kong Studio, we released a number of other new products and features for both our community users and enterprise customers alike, including Kuma, Kong Enterprise 2020, Kong Gateway 2.0 and Kong Brain and Kong Immunity. We listened to your wish lists and brought them to you in our latest product deliveries.
What a year 2019 has been. We have a lot of exciting things brewing for 2020, and we can’t wait to bring those to you in the coming year! We’re just getting started.
Wishing you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year from all of us at Kong!